About Faithful Democracy
Faithful Democracy is a growing national coalition of diverse congregations, faith-based organizations and religious leaders with a shared concern about the state of our democracy in the 21st Century. We recognize the need to reform our foundational democratic systems to align more closely with the ideals of a beloved community in which all members belong and contribute. Any major movement dedicated to comprehensive reform—from care of creation to civil rights and debt relief for poor countries—has included the unique voice and perspective of people of faith. Our network of faith-based partners join voices around the need for transformational democracy reform.
The Values We Share
While our partners represent a diversity of beliefs and traditions, we unite around the common goal of creating a healthier, thriving democracy. We recognize that, on a practical level, only a healthy, well-functioning democracy has the capacity to attend to any of the issues our faith calls us to address: systemic racism, climate change, hunger, violence, poverty, healthcare and more.
- A faithful democracy ensures that all voices are heard and have equal access to power structures.
- A faithful democracy takes into account the needs of the most vulnerable, the young and the elderly.
- A faithful democracy balances the common good against special interests.
- A faithful democracy prompts integrity among those who serve and instills trust among the citizenry.
- A faithful democracy fosters a sense of responsibility toward our families, our communities, our nation and the global community.
Endorse Our Principles
Our faith-based partners unite around the Voters Covenant, Faithful Democracy’s statement of principles. Endorsement of the Covenant is a public statement of support for our shared concerns and our democratic mission. By endorsing the Voters Covenant, your organization, house of worship, congregation, or faith-based group 1) agrees to be publicly listed as part of our network and 2) indicates a willingness to engage—as availability and capacity allow—in our collective advocacy efforts to further the mission. Faithful Democracy will not release any statements, press releases, letters or other communications on behalf of endorsers unless they have affirmatively opted-in.
Are you an individual who agrees with the principles of the Voters Covenant? Join the mission by taking action to support a more faithful democracy and subscribing for updates about coalition activities